City of Kansas City, Missouri
Neighborhoods and Housing Services Department – Tow Services Section
7750 E Front Street
Kansas City, MO 64120
Unclaimed Vehicle Auction
In order to ensure that order is maintained, acts of theft are eliminated, and to keep the risk of any loss to a minimum on auction days, auction customers must:
- Be licensed with the State of Missouri, as a salvage dealer in order to purchase salvage vehicles. If the buyer present at an auction is not listed on the state salvage license, a letter from the owner of the company must be on file, authorizing the buyer to purchase vehicles under the companies state salvage license. Buyers must register with the auctioneer and be issued a buyer number.
- If the buyer is a salvage dealer operating inside the city limits of the City of Kansas City, they must have been issued a State of Missouri salvage license and a KCMO Salvage Yard permit; OR be a KCMO licensed automotive repair business with a Non-Salvage Yard determination.
- All other buyers must register with the auctioneer and be issued a buyer number.
- Buyer numbers must be worn at all times.
- All buyers must have valid state ID to register.
- All buyers must be at least 18 years of age.
Penalties may be imposed on auction customers for failure to comply with all established protocols and procedures. A buyer may be suspended or banned for a period of 3 years or permanently banned for violation of established auction protocols and procedures.
Buyer may be removed immediately and given a 3 year suspension for:
- Disruptive, disrespectful, obscene or abusive language toward other customers, the auctioneer or City staff members.
- Refusal to follow the direction of City staff or auctioneers pertaining to auction processes and procedures.
- Bidders may enter the driver’s side door of a vehicle to access the hood release only. Entering vehicles to access trunks, glove boxes, or interior areas will result in immediate removal and permanent suspension.
- Bidders are prohibited from bringing backpacks, duffle bags, suitcases or any other accessories onto the lot.
- Dumping trash from purchased vehicles on the lot before taking the purchased vehicle.
- Failure to take all vehicle parts when taking the purchased vehicle from the lot.
- Failure to pay for vehicles purchased at an auction. (Upon completion of the three year suspension, a $500.00 deposit will be required for all purchases made.)
- Failure to pay security deposit for vehicles purchased at auction, when required.
- 2nd violation of any offense listed as a 6 month suspension.
Buyers may be banned permanently for:
- Any form of theft.
- Any 2nd failure to pay for vehicles purchased.
- Assaulting another customer, city staff member, the auctioneer and their staff or anyone on the Tow Service property.
- Any misrepresentation, as a buyer for a company, when not authorized or without written approval, from that company to act as a buyer for said company.
- Being found in violation of any city code pertaining to inoperable vehicles on property owned or controlled by the buying company or individual buyer.
- Attempting to purchase vehicles while under a 6-month or 12-month suspension.
All sales must be final and paid in full by 4:30 P.M. on the day of the sale.
- The auctioneer will process all final sales and provide documentation of the sale to the City outlining each transaction by the close of business on the day of the auction. Additionally, the auctioneer will provide a check for the proceeds of the auction to the City by the end of business on the day of the auction as outlined in the contract. No exceptions.
- The City does not guarantee a title to unclaimed vehicles sold at auction. All unclaimed vehicles are sold on a Missouri Department of Revenue form #4579, “Abandoned Property Bill of Sale”. Buyers will receive a bill of sale within 14 days of the auction date. Buyers that lose their original bill of sale will be charged $10.00 for a duplicate bill of sale.
- The bill of sale can be used to obtain a title in the state of Missouri following procedures established by the Missouri Department of Revenue. It may not be accepted by other states. The purchaser must make application within 30 days of purchase for an original title, salvage title, or junking certificate.
- It is the responsibility of the buyer to obtain information on titling vehicles outside Missouri.
- Auction vehicles are not presumed safe for operation on streets. All parts and contents of purchased vehicles must be removed with vehicles. Buyers cannot “clean out” a vehicle before removing it.
- Purchased vehicles cannot be unloaded or stored in the parking lot, along the access road, or on Front Street. Repairs of auction vehicles cannot be performed on the lot or in the parking area. Auction vehicles left in the parking lot or on the entrance road will be towed back on to the lot and a $265.00 tow fee per vehicle will be assessed.
- Parking space is limited. Please arrive early and try to carpool. No parking is allowed on the grass and violators will be ticketed.
- The Tow Services Division makes every attempt to identify stolen vehicles before they are sold, but if the Missouri Highway Patrol later discovers a vehicle purchased at the auction to be stolen, the buyer will only be reimbursed for the cost of the vehicle and the buyer premium.
- Auction vehicles may be withdrawn from the sale at any time prior to payment. Buyers can register in-person at the lot from 8:00 A.M. – 11:00 A.M. on the day of the sale. All bidders must sign-in at the auction window before entering the lot. The auction begins at 10:00 A.M., no one arriving after 11:00 a.m. is allowed to enter the auction. No guests, children, or pets are allowed entry.
- Buyers must pay for their cars in cash or cashier’s check by 4:30 PM on the day of the auction. Please make cashier’s checks payable to Official Auctions. Buyers have until 4:00 P.M. on the Friday following the auction to pick up their vehicle(s). Vehicles may be picked up between 8:00 A.M. and 6:00 P.M. during that period of time. Drivers will have 10 minutes on the lot to retrieve their vehicle.