The SFMTA is responsible for removing illegally parked and abandoned vehicles from City streets and all vehicles towed by the San Francisco Police Department. A vehicle which is parked in a tow away zone will be towed to one of the City’s tow yards. Towing helps maximize on-street parking, manage traffic congestion, and maintain clean, safe and functional streets for the public’s use.
Answers to commonly asked questions are provided here as a convenience. If your question is not answered here or on our site, please contact customer service at 415-865-8200.
Resources & Links
- SFMTA Towed Vehicle Information
- Pay Citations Online
- SFMTA Booted Vehicles
- In-person payments are required for all booted vehicles. Payments can be made at the SFMTA Service Center, Monday thru Friday from 8am to 5pm, located at 11 South Van Ness
- Contest SFMTA Tows
- Contest SFMTA Citations
- Contest SFPD Tows
- First Tow or Low Income/First Tow Reimbursements for Registered Owners
- Towing Fees & Access Notice
- California Vehicle Code
Tow Fee Schedules – Effective 7/1/2017
You must pay all fees for your vehicle to be released.
- Administrative Fee – Passenger vehicles Under 10,000 GVW
- Registered Owner Towed more than once: $269.00
- Registered Owner’s first tow: $177.00 (NOTE: First time tow discount does not apply to rental car companies, city car shares, or any other businesses.)
- Registered Owner’s first tow and currently qualified for one of the low income programs: $89.00
- Tow Fee – Passenger Vehicles: $214.00
- First four hours: free
- First day after first 4 hours: $59.25
- Subsequent days: $71.00
- Dolly (if applicable): $53.25
- Transfer to long-term storage (if applicable): $29.25
- Lien fees: $35.00 at initiation plus $35.00 at lien clear, total $70 (L1 & L2 = $70 total; L3 = $100 total)
Towing and storage fees vary for medium and heavy duty vehicles. Please search for your vehicle online or call the customer service center to receive estimated fees.
***NOTE: You must pay for your citations separately. Citations associated with this tow, and delinquent citations, are not included in this invoice unless your vehicle was towed for having 5 or more delinquent citations.